News from the Consulate - Johannesburg
100th Anniversary of the Birth of Raoul Wallenberg
On February 20 at the Beyachad Community Center in Johannesburg, Consul General Earl Miller and other members of the diplomatic corps attended a tribute to honor the 100th anniversary of the birth of Raoul Wallenberg.
The Honorable Irwin Cotler, Member of Parliament and former Minister of Justice of Canada, delivered an address on Wallenberg’s extraordinary courage and humanity.
Wallenberg, while serving as Sweden’s special envoy in Budapest during the later stages of World War II, rescued up to a hundred thousand Jews in Nazi-occupied Hungary.
Wallenberg is an honorary citizen of Canada, Hungary, Israel and the United States.
In the Portrait
(From left to right)
- Mr. Earl Miller, US Consul General, Johannesburg
- Mr. Johannes Oljelund, Counselor Political Affairs, Swedish Embassy
- H.E. Dov Segev-Steinberg, Israeli Ambassador
- H.E. Adele Dion, Canadian High Commissioner
- The Hon Irwin Cotler, MP
- Mrs. Tali Nates, Director of the Johannesburg Holocaust & Genocide Center
- Jeff Katz, Chairman of the Gauteng Council, SA Jewish Board of Deputies
- Mrs. Julia LaszloH.E. Bela Laszlo, Ambassador of Hungary
- Wendy Kahn, National Director, SAJBD